116th Animal Wellness Congressional Scorecard
See how your Representatives and Senators scored on major animal welfare legislation
This tool calculates a score for each legislator based on their performance on major animal welfare issues. Click their name for more voting details — and reach out to them via social media or email to thank them for good performance and to urge them to do better if they are falling short.
|HOUSE BILLS Rated:||
SENATE BILLS Rated:
PAST Act (Prevent All Soring Tactics Act of 2019)
HR724: PACT Act (Preventing Animal Cruelty and Torture Act)
HR737: Shark Fin Sales Elimination Act of 2019
HR1380: Big Cat Public Safety Act
HR1754: Horseracing Integrity and Safety Act of 2020
HR1957: The Great American Outdoors Act
HR3055: 2020 Spending Bill
– Animal Cruelty Amendment
– Elephant and Lion Trophy Hunting Amendment
HR7608: Department of State, Foreign Operations, and Related Programs Appropriations Act, 2021
– Humane Management of Wild Horses and Burros Amendment
– Wolf and Bear Protection Amendment on Alaska’s National Preserves Amendment
S479: PACT Act (Preventing Animal Cruelty and Torture Act)
S877: Shark Fin Sales Elimination Act of 2019
S1007: PAST Act (Prevent All Soring Tactics Act of 2019)
S1590: RAWR Act (Rescuing Animals With Rewards Act of 2019)
S1820: Horseracing Integrity Act of 2019
S2561: Big Cat Public Safety Act
S3422: Great American Outdoors Act
S4749: A bill to address the public health risks posed by wildlife markets, and for other purposes
How it works
To see how your legislator rates on animal welfare legislation, look at the Total Score in the far right column in the Summary tab (or on a member’s page found by clicking on their name). The bigger the score, the better – 100 for House and 104 for Senate is the highest score. Minus scores mean they voted against the animals. For a further breakdown see below.
|Summary Tab||Vote Index Tab||House & Senate Tabs|
• Possible is the highest possible vote score Members would have gotten if they voted perfectly on our issues.
• Vote Index is the percentage that Members voted on our position
• Total Score is the Member’s overall AWA rating score
• For more details on a Member’s scoring and their contact information, click on their name.
Shows how frequently Members voted the right way.
Vote Index = Total Vote Score + Possible Score
• The formula calculates the percentage of the time the legislator voted correctly, weighted by rating below.
– if they vote right every single time the formula gives back 1
– if their good votes and bad votes exactly cancel each other out and their total score is 0, the formula gives .5
– if they vote wrong every time their total score is – the Possible score, the formula gives 0
Note: one cannot easily compare House with Senate members — but they are on a level playing field when considering the Vote Index.
Scoring breakdown by party in that chamber.
• Heat map shows the relative score for each Congressional district. Hover over a district to identify it.
– Red is the lowest score
– Green is the highest score
– White means there is no recorded vote
|Legislative Tab||Bill Score Tab||Export and Filter Buttons|
|Detailed information on each bill on which members are scored.||
Shows total scores for Members and scores for each piece of legislation
+ 10 for a yes vote
– 10 for a no vote
+ 10 is added if they co-sponsored the bill
Export download the scorecard in Excel
Filter can sort the information in any column.